Minutes For December 8, 2014
Rocky Bluff Neighborhood Association Quarterly Meeting
Date: Monday, December 8, 2014; 6:30–8:00 p.m.
Where: First Baptist Church, 518 N. Franklin Avenue, Basement Meeting Room
- Website Update – Erik
- A problem with the web site was reported. Users receiving an error when opening the home page.
- Betty will report the issue to Tim Schneider. Note: E-mail sent to Tim and he resolved the problem.
- Fall Party Success – Thank you to Kate & Jacob Austin for hosting.
- All that attended the party agreed it was a fun event.
- Jacob Austin reported that they had a total of 23 Jack-o-Lanterns lit.
- Discussion Items
- RBNA Google Group Management – Backup needed
- Kate Austin, member on Bluff Street, has volunteered to be back-up to Tim Schneider.
- Tim & Kate – Work on cross-training Kate.
- Fall Party – Should we have it again next year? Was it good? What could we add or change?
- Yes, we will plan to have the jack-o-lantern party next year. The Austin family is willing to host again next fall.
- Jacob said that having a pot luck chili meal worked well for the party. There was enough to go around and it made the party easy to host. No changes were recommended.
- Winter Activity – Should we plan on the snowman contest? How to declare a particular snowfall as ‘the one’ for the contest?
- The group decided to have the snowman contest.
- Introductory info about the contest will be sent to RBNA e-mail list with December meeting minutes.
- Erik, president, will make the decision on ‘the snowfall’. Prefer a major snowfall late in the week so
the snowmen can be made over the weekend. The announcement and details will be sent by e-mail
posted to the RBNA Facebook page.
- To enter neighbors will post a photo of their snowman on RBNA Facebook.
- To vote neighbors will ‘like’ their favorite snowman photo on the Facebook.
- The snowman with the most likes will win a $25 gift card to Whole Foods.
- RBNA – Draft announcement
- Betty – Send announcement out with RBNA minutes via e-mail. Request Tim post on Web Site.
- Erik – Determine ‘the snowfall’ and send notification via e-mail.
- RBNA – Purchase gift card for prize.
- RBNA – Send notification that the contest is over and announce the winner via e-mail. Request Tim
post to Web Site.
- Harvey Street Liaison is needed – Volunteers or suggestions?
- No volunteers at this time. Betty Bauhs offered to fill in until a liaison can be recruited.
- Suggestion to have a liaison meeting next spring prior to the April meeting.
- RBNA – Consider planning a street liaison meeting in the spring of 2015.
- RBNA – Continue recruiting for a Harvey Street Liaison
- Outreach to RBNA neighbors residing in apartments.
- Laura Thomas, new member living in Le Chateau Apartments, offered to look into whether RBNA material could be delivered to the Les Chateau apartments. If this is acceptable, she may be willing to be the Les Chateau liaison.
- Discussed adding a business liaison that could become familiar with the businesses located in the RBNA area. Will need to recruit someone. Suggestion to have the liaison named prior to the liaison meeting in the spring.
- Laura Thomas – Contact Les Chateau building manager regarding RBNA flyer delivery.
- RBNA – Follow-up with RBNA members to identify a business liaison.
- Place Making Venture – Continue discussion of what and where.
- Erik reported that the city is holding a free grant workshop on the evening of Jan. 13 to explain the requirements to apply for a city grant for this project. He is not able to attend the workshop due to a scheduling conflict and is looking for a volunteer or two that are interested in attending.
- Erik suggested forming a committee for the project. The committee will consider the ideas suggested by RBNA members and choose one to pursue.
- The city’s grant schedule requires a pre-proposal be submitted by mid-February. The final grant application including a complete plan with costs is due in March. This time-line may be difficult to meet for 2015, discussed waiting until the 2016 grant cycle. This would allow sufficient time to form a committee and prepare the plan. Installation would occur in 2016.
- RBNA – Send e-mail to members to see if anyone is interested in attending the Jan. 13 workshop.
- RBNA – Continue including the place making venture as an agenda item for upcoming meetings.
- Open Discussion
- Toby reported that Shorewood Hills is holding a public hearing Tuesday 12/9 at 7:00 to discuss a proposal to redevelop the ATT Plaza. He believes that the proposal is fairly large multi-story building. Suggested e-mailing information to RBNA.
- BJ shared that a resident of RBNA is a city worker and was recently assigned to be in charge of Quarry Park. He will try to get her to attend the March meeting to discuss possible work/projects in the park we can be involved in
- RBNA – E-mail information about Shorewood Hills public meeting. Note: Betty sent e-mail.
- BJ – Follow-up with Laura regarding attending RBNA March quarterly meeting.
- Next Meeting:
- March 9, Monday, First Baptist Church