Minutes for March 2018
Date: Monday, March 12, 2018 – 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Where: First Baptist Church, 518 N. Franklin Avenue
Elections-Nominations for President and Vice-President
- No one has expressed interest in either President or Vice-President positions.
- Tim Schneider and Betty Bauhs have agreed to continue on as Secretary and Treasurer respectively.
- Erik will send a general e-mail to the RBNA distribution list to ask for volunteers for President/Vice. If no responses are received, he will send a personal e-mail to a few RBNA members that may be willing to serve in these roles in an effort to get someone on-board before the April meeting.
- Brief discussion about what to do if no one volunteers to be the RBNA president. If this occurs, the options will need to be discussed at the April meeting.
Annual Meeting Planning
- Decided to have the annual meeting to Wednesday, April 18 because quite a few people have said they cannot make Monday meetings (including Shiva) and Wednesday April 11 also had several conflicts.
- Agenda items include: Officer Elections, volunteers for Summer Party Planning Committee, Quarry Park Cleanup project, and a guest speaker.
- Erik will contact Shiva/City to ask for someone from the water utility to discuss the recent problems with high salt content in Well 14 that services the Rocky Bluff neighborhood area. See Water Quality topic below. If a water utility staff member is not available, he will ask Shiva to speak about general city issues.
- Jason will reserve the First Baptist Church gathering room for the meeting.
- Flyers announcing the Annual Meeting should be distributed to all households by the Street Liaisons. The agenda will need to be finalized soon to make sure the liaisons have time to deliver. Erik will put together the agenda, Tim will e-mail to the Street Liaisons for distribution. Jason offered to make copies at the church.
- No new or additional information has been shared by Flad or the city.
Quarry Park Spring Cleanup
- The city is holding their Earth Day cleanup project on Saturday, April 21, 2018. Betty contacted the city and they would like to have us do trash pickup and garlic mustard removal again this year.
- We may also consider removing some invasive species during the cleanup day, in addition to Garlic Mustard, e.g. Buckthorn/Honeysuckle. The city will need to review/approve the area we plan to work on and show a representative the correct way to remove. Betty will look into this as a possibility.
- We will volunteer to plant and maintain the garden around the Quarry Park sign again this year. Last year RBNA bought the plants, but this year the city will provide if we get an order to them before April 18th. BJ and Betty agreed to lead the project and will work with the city to get garden approval and order plants.
Water Quality – Salt Contamination
- The city website shows that the well that services our neighborhood, Well 14, has experienced a drastic increase in levels of salt in the past year. It will probably exceed guidelines in the near future unless something is done. More info is available on the city website: https://www.cityofmadison.com/water/sustainability/road-salt-and-madisons-drinking-water
- We will ask the city to come to the annual meeting in April to talk with us about the water quality issue at our annual meeting next month.