Minutes for September 8, 2014
Meeting Time: Monday, September 8, 2014
Time: 7:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Where: First Baptist Church, 518 N. Franklin Avenue, Conference Room
- Treasurer Report – Erik Haroldson for Carolyn Janette, Treasurer
- Erik reported that Carolyn opened a RBNA checking account at the Hilldale BMO Harris Bank.
- Donations from the summer party were $171.
- Current RBNA checking account balance is $260.55
- Report Website and Google Group – Tim Schneider
- The updated RBNA web site was launched the end of June.
- Tim is working on setting up a new ‘neighbor galleries’ section on the web site for photos.
- RBNA Google group is active and moving along well. A success story: connecting a neighbor looking for care for their chickens while they were away to someone willing to provide care in exchange for fresh eggs. The Google Group can be used for any general need, e.g. borrow a ladder, babysitting needed/offered, mow lawns, etc. New users are reviewed by Tim prior to set-up. We should have a backup for this function. Tim suggested adding the Google group information on future e-mail notifications and flyers.
- RBNA – Add Google Group info to RBNA future distributions (e-mails and flyers)
- RBNA – Recruit/identify someone as Tim’s backup for Google Group.
- Discussion Items
- Summer Party – How did it go? – Erik
- Party went well, thanks to the planning committee, led by Andy. Estimated 80 neighbors attended.
- Very positive comments: Liked the name tags with number of years people have been in the neighborhood, food and beer were good, location worked well. Donation of $3 reasonable.
- Suggestions for next year: Maybe choose a standard weekend, such as 1st Saturday in August; start planning process earlier (March/April). Do name tags again, maybe prize for longest and newest?
- Betty prepared thanks you cards for the businesses that donated food as well as the musicians and McDaniels for hosting the picnic. Erik will sign the notes representing the RBNA.
- Betty – Deliver thank you notes.
- RBNA—Include picnic planning on March 2015 agenda.
- Summer Party – How did it go? – Erik
- Place-making Venture – Neighborhood Sign – Erik
Doesn’t necessarily need to be an individual wooden sign. Discussed a variety of other ideas: street art, banners on light posts, an engraved rock, a bench/seating area or kiosk near the Quarry Park entrance, etc. Suggestion that we also think about how we could differentiate our neighborhood, e.g. best neighborhood for bees, or possibly something related to our ‘Rocky’ neighborhood. Neighbors should brainstorm both what and where between now and the December meeting.
- Additional info: The City offers grants for this type of project. There is a workshop in January on how to apply for a grant, grant applications are due in February. There is a city meeting this weekend Erik isn’t able to attend and asked if someone was interested. There may be additional info re: city grants. No offers during the meeting.
- RBNA members – Think about what/where and bring ideas to December meeting.
- RBNA – Include on December Agenda
- Winter Gathering – Possible Activities?
- Discussed various ideas: snowman competition on first snowfall, chili cook-off in conjunction with Packer game, pumpkin display for Halloween. The pumpkin display the Saturday prior to Halloween was a popular idea. Group decided the Halloween idea is a good start and probably easier than something during the cold winter months. New member, Jacob Austin on Bluff St, may be willing to invite neighbors to come to his house with pumpkins and gather the neighborhood jack-o-lanterns into one large display.
- RBNA — Confirm Jacob will offer his yard for gathering. If yes, confirm date and time and forward information to RBNA.
- RBNA — If Jacob will not host, send info to neighbors about displaying pumpkins on Saturday prior to Halloween 10/25. Should send notice by mid-October.
- Business/Service Directory on the RBNA Web Site
- Tim said he could setup pretty quickly if there is support by RBNA. Group was positive about the idea of a business directory on the RBNA web site to include formal businesses located within RBNA boundaries. Informal business such as lawn mowing or babysitting will not be included.
- Tim – Setup web page for businesses.
- RBNA Discount Card – Should we pursue? – Erik
- The summer party planning committee checked with a few businesses they were soliciting food/drink donations from and found out that Itza Pizza would participate but the discount would be the same as their generally available coupons, Party Port was not interested. General discussion was that we are already asking businesses to donate to the summer party and it might be too much to ask them for more. Group agreed to not pursue the discount card.
- Misc. Discussion
- Harvey Street Liaison, Judy, would like to step down. Need to find new liaison for Harvey Street. No volunteers at the meeting.
- Suggestion to send postcards to apartments in August to let them know about RBNA. We can use funds in checking account to pay for postage. Discuss further at next meeting.
- RBNA – Contact Harvey Street members to request volunteer.
- RBNA — Include outreach to apartments on next agenda.
- Next Meeting:
- December 8, Monday, First Baptist Church.