Minutes for June 10, 2013
Lead: BJ Haman
1) Introduction. Introduced Toby and myself. No other officers were present. We welcomed two new members: Brian and Leona from Barlow Street. Sixteen total persons were in attendance.
2) Hoyt Park Area Plan. Most members signed up on the city website to receive updates on the adoption process. Members were encouraged to attend upcoming meetings and register to speak if they feel strongly about something in the plan related to that group. Please check the schedule on-line for the date, time and place and not that these may change (see below).
These meetings are the final opportunities to have our neighborhood’s voices heard on the details of the Hoyt Park Area Plan. Note that these meeting times are subject to change; for example, the Transit and Parking meeting has been changed to July 10th.
3) Summer Party. Most of the discussion was related to the location of the party and whether or not to get a permit and have it on the street or at the First Baptist Church parking lot or to have it on private property. Decided to let the party planners, Dave, Barb, Gunnar and Phil work on the details. Save the week-end of July 27 open, probably Sunday, July 28 late afternoon, for this event. Also thanks to Jason for offering use of the church parking lot.
4) RockyBluffMadison.org. An additional $25 was raised toward maintenance of the site, thanks to all who donated. Barb will continue to post photos of the area and links to the history of the neighborhood that members send her. Thanks to her for the excellent job that she continues to do on the site.
5) Friends of Hoyt Park. Gunnar and/or Toby have been attending their meetings and will pass along relevant information. Members encouraged to join for $30 annual membership fee.
6) Open Forum.
a) Members felt satisfied with the Bagels are Forever expansion and are looking forward to eating in the proposed new dining space.
b) Members encouraged to attend spaghetti dinners the first Monday of the month at the First Baptist Church. See website for details. In September it will be the second Monday due to Labor Day and will conflict with our next quarterly meeting.
c) Betty feels we did a good job pulling garlic mustard on our work day and will wait until next year to schedule another. Most members feel like we would like to involve other park users to limit some of the bike trails that may be leading to erosion and look into clearing some brush from some pedestrian paths.
d) One of our members wanted me to include changes to Madison Metro bus routes to the agenda but apologies for not including this topic. Route 14 has been changed and some of the Middleton routes may not be stopping at all of the stops in the neighborhood. Also, there will be some additional routes through the area being planned. I use the bus to get downtown and it is fast and cheaper and easier than parking. Bus users should check Madison Metro’s website for information on these changes.
7) Our next meeting will be from 7:00-8:00pm in the second floor conference room at the First Baptist Church. Members are encouraged to attend a free spaghetti dinner in the basement beforehand from 6:00-7:00pm.
Submitted by BJ Haman, President RBNA